Saturday, May 31, 2008

Post 1.6

I've been listening to podcasts all day today, and it got me thinking about some things going on in my life that I want to jot down for web-posterity here. I realized I don't have a whole lot of autobiorgraphical information on this blog, so let's start there, shall we?

I work at a movie theater as an Assistant Manager. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and I'd love to move up with the company. The problem is, the company I'm with is quickly expanding, and a requirement for advancement is the ability and willingness to relocate.

Now don't get me wrong--I'd love to relocate. The problem is, I can't afford it. Yes, the company pays for the process itself, but I'm living in my parents' basement at the moment, and the raise I'd recieve for advancement still wouldn't be enough for me to support myself.

To put it bluntly, the money in movie theater management is shit.

I've been looking around at some other short-term career choices, but there's nothing in my area that I'm particularly interested in. My long-term goal of being a full-time writer is still a long way away.

So, what do to?

I've thought frequently of running a website, podcast, or some incarnation of an online communication forum. I think it would be a blast, and if I could figure out a way to make at least some sort of supplementary income in the process, I'd be able to cut down on work hours elsewhere and devote some serious time to the online project--which, in turn, gives me more time spent writing, although not in my preferred field.

I have a friend--at the moment, I'll introduce him by his gamertag, z0mbyd00m--who is an even bigger geek than I am, and we've discussed the possibility of starting up a geek website. I know there seems to be an abundance of these lately, but I think we might be able to pull it off, and bring something valuable to the proverbial table.

Since the last time I did anything with web design was about ten years ago--I was thirteen--it's going to take me a bit to get up to speed on how this all works. I'm currently working through HTML, XHTML, and CSS for Dummies, and hopefully by the end of it I'll have the basics down and be ready to move on to more complex things.

In the mean time, I'm still plugging away at the day job, and I'm not hating it yet, which is a good sign. In fact, my shift is coming up, so I'd better go get dressed. That's the other down side of maovie theater management--the suit and tie. Ugh.

Signing off!

No comments: